Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chores, Chores, Chores

Not a scrapbook freebie - but some good ideas...
I have tried several chore charts with my kids. I'm a big believer in kids doing chores and having responsibilities around the house. They make their own beds and clean their own rooms from about the time that they are 3. Now it doesn't always look great, and every so often I go in a do a good clean - but I want them to do their best and take responsibility for their things. So I've started a new "reward" program with Paige that has been fabulous. A friend gave me the idea and then I adapted it for our needs. We call it DOING DOLLARS. Paige earns printed dollars for doing her choirs or for doing things like being ready for school by 8:00. Then she is able to use those dollars to buy rewards. Below is the sheet that hangs on that back of her door.
This is the dollar I designed. She was so excited to have the CTR logo on it - which stands for Choose the Right.

My sister also just did this darling choir chart for her toddler. I had a similar one when Paige was young, but I love that this is on a magnet board and so she uses magnets to mark off when she has finished something. In the middle are some pictures of other choirs that she can choose to do - since they like to help at that age.
So I thought I would offer my dollars to anyone else who may want to try this. I have them 14 to a sheet, so they are fairly small - which is perfect. Then I printed them in grey scale on some colored cardstock. This program has made school mornings 100% better - no joke. Paige gets up without complaining and gets going on the day. No more hounding her to hurry and brush her teeth because her friends are already waiting for her. Now she is ready with plenty of time to work on practicing her piano and such. Can't say enough about it. It's worked FABULOUSLY for us!
You can download the Doing Dollars here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this idea Monica! I think I might have to give this a try with my 3 year old. Got any great ideas for a 12 1/2 year old? I could use some great incentives for her. I'm starting to think nothing works for her! :)

Michelle said...

I've been looking for a good motivator--I'm going to try this, THANK YOU!

Kim Sandling said...

Thank you so much! My daughter who is 5 wants money, but really has no idea what money is. I'm so excited to start this with her! Thank you for being so generous with your time and talents!

Unknown said...

This is exactly what I was looking for, unfortunately the download site says it's invalid.